You are now leaving the Turn2us site. Turn2us is not responsible for content on third party sites.

Student Support - How do I claim student support?

Students in universities and colleges of higher education may be able to get help with tuition fees, the costs of their course and their living expenses by getting student support in the form of student grants (including bursaries) or loans from the Government.

How do I claim student support?

You can apply online or on paper. Follow the links below for the applications forms.

•    More information on loans and grants in England
•    More information on loans and grants in Wales
•    More information on loans and grants in Scotland
•    More information on loans and grants in Northern Ireland

If you are a national of another European Union country, contact Student Finance Services European Team - contact details given on the Gov.UK: Student Finance England website page.

What documents will I need?

You must provide your passport. If you do not have a passport, you can send your original birth certificate (or adoption certificate). If you send either of these documents, they must be accompanied by an identity confirmation form. Ask the Student Finance organisation for the country of the UK you live in where you get this from.

Depending on your circumstances, you may have to supply other evidence. For example, if you are claiming extra money because of a disability, you will need to provide evidence of the disability, such as a letter from a doctor.

If you will be under 25 at the start of the academic year, and you are married or in a civil partnership, you need to send your original marriage or civil partnership certificate.

Anything wrong with this page?

Tell us the problem

Please enter your name
Please enter a valid email address
Please enter what you were doing
Please enter what you'd like to report
Please enter the security code shown

Thank you

If you would like to tell us more please visit our contact page


Struggling with Energy and Water bills?

Find out what benefits, grants and other schemes may be available to you.

Read about help with energy and water costs

England: Council Tax Rebate April 2022

Read our Frequently Asked Questions guide.

Find out about the Council Tax Rebate

Check benefit entitlement

Find out what means-tested benefits you might be entitled to, including tax credits.

Use the Benefits Calculator

Grants Search

Search our database of grant-giving organisations

Search for grants

Find a Local Adviser

Search for your nearest sources of information and advice

Find an Local Adviser