You are now leaving the Turn2us site. Turn2us is not responsible for content on third party sites.

Support for Mortgage Interest - How do I claim Support for Mortgage Interest?

Find out more about Support for Mortgage Interest.

How do I claim Support for Mortgage Interest?

Support for Mortgage Interest forms part of the claim for Income Support, income-based Jobseeker's Allowance, income-related Employment and Support Allowance or guarantee Pension Credit, no separate claim is required.

What documents will I need to claim Support for Mortgage Interest?

You will be asked to provide details of your housing costs.

When will my Support for Mortgage Interest claim begin?

If you are making a new claim for Income Support, income based Jobseeker's Allowance or income related Employment and Support Allowance, you will not usually qualify for help with housing costs for the first 39 weeks of your claim.

From 1 April 2016 the waiting period until you receive any payment increased from 13 to 39 weeks for new claims.

If you are claiming Pension Credit, no waiting period applies.

If you are transferring from one benefit to another, a longer waiting period may apply (if you are not already receiving Support for Mortgage Interest). If you are in this position, seek advice. You can use the Turn2us Find an Adviser tool to find a local adviser.

Change of circumstances

You must report changes in your circumstances which might affect your entitlement to this benefit.

Anything wrong with this page?

Tell us the problem

Please enter your name
Please enter a valid email address
Please enter what you were doing
Please enter what you'd like to report
Please enter the security code shown

Thank you

If you would like to tell us more please visit our contact page


Check benefit entitlement

Find out what means-tested benefits you might be entitled to, including tax credits.

Use the Benefits Calculator

Grant Search

Search our database of grant-giving organisations

Search for grants