You are now leaving the Turn2us site. Turn2us is not responsible for content on third party sites.

TV and Telephone costs - Help with TV Licence Costs

Find out more about the help that may be available to pay for TV and telephone costs, depending on your situation.

Help with TV Licence Costs

The law says you need to be covered by a TV Licence to:

  • Watch or record programmes as they’re being shown on TV, on any channel

  • Watch or stream programmes live on an online TV service (such as ITV Hub, All 4, YouTube, Amazon Prime Video, Now TV, Sky Go, etc.)

  • Download or watch any BBC programmes on iPlayer.

This applies to any device you use, including a TV, desktop computer, laptop, mobile phone, tablet, games console, digital box or DVD/VHS recorder.

This page gives information on:

Free licenses and Over 75s

Free TV licences, funded by the Government, for all people aged over 75 years came to an end in 2020.

If you are over 75 and you get Pension Credit, you can apply for a free TV licence.

Use the Turn2us Benefits Calculator to check if you are entitled to Pension Credit.

For further information on how to apply for a free TV licence, please telephone 0300 790 6117 or visit the TV Licensing website/Over 75

Discounts if you are registered blind or live with someone who is 

If you are registered blind with your local authority or live with someone who is, you qualify for a 50% reduction in the cost of your television licence. The licence has to be in the blind person’s name. If it isn’t, you can transfer it by calling TV Licensing on the number below.

For more details, see TV Licensing website/Reductions for blind or severely sight impaired customers 

If you live in a care home or sheltered accommodation and TV licences

If you live in a care home or sheltered accommodation, you will need a license if you have your own TV or other equipment on which you watch programmes for which you need a licence.

If you are entitled to a free TV licence, you can move this licence to the care home. Anyone still living in your old home will have to buy their own licence.

If you aren't entitled to a free TV licence, you may be able to get a discounted TV licence if your care home if your care home qualifies for an Accommodation for Residential Care (ARC) Concessionary TV Licence. This costs £7.50 per room per year. Ask your home's warden, manager or administrator about this.

For more information on TV licences and care homes, see the TV Licensing website/care homes and sheltered accommodation

Last update: Jan 2021

Anything wrong with this page?

Tell us the problem

Please enter your name
Please enter a valid email address
Please enter what you were doing
Please enter what you'd like to report
Please enter the security code shown

Thank you

If you would like to tell us more please visit our contact page


Check benefit entitlement

Find out what means-tested benefits you might be entitled to, including tax credits.

Use the Benefits Calculator

Grants Search

Search our database of grant-giving organisations

Search for grants