You are now leaving the Turn2us site. Turn2us is not responsible for content on third party sites.

Tax Credits Overpayments - How do I avoid a tax credit overpayment?

This guide explains about tax credit overpayments and what to do if you think you have been overpaid.

How do I avoid a tax credit overpayment?

Report relevant changes straight away – see HM Revenue and Customs (HMRC) guidance on changes that you need to report about tax credits

Renew your tax credits on time by checking and returning the declaration by 31st July – see HM Revenue and Customs (HMRC) guidance on renewing your tax credits

Check the renewal documents carefully and make sure that you give accurate and up-to-date information

Check all award notices carefully and report any mistakes about your circumstances. See HM Revenue and Customs (HMRC) guidance on how to check your award notice

Reviewed: August 2017

Anything wrong with this page?

Tell us the problem

Please enter your name
Please enter a valid email address
Please enter what you were doing
Please enter what you'd like to report
Please enter the security code shown

Thank you

If you would like to tell us more please visit our contact page


Struggling with Energy and Water bills?

Find out what benefits, grants and other schemes may be available to you.

Read about help with energy and water costs

England: Council Tax Rebate April 2022

Read our Frequently Asked Questions guide.

Find out about the Council Tax Rebate

Check benefit entitlement

Find out what means-tested benefits you might be entitled to, including tax credits.

Use the Benefits Calculator

Grants Search

Search our database of grant-giving organisations

Search for grants

Find a Local Adviser

Search for your nearest sources of information and advice

Find an Local Adviser