You are now leaving the Turn2us site. Turn2us is not responsible for content on third party sites.

Tax Credits Overpayments - What should I do if I think the overpayment was not my fault?

This guide explains about tax credit overpayments and what to do if you think you have been overpaid.

What should I do if I think the overpayment was not my fault?

If you think that HM Revenue and Customs (HMRC) made a mistake or gave you the wrong advice and that led to the overpayment, you can dispute the overpayment. See the GOV.UK information on how to dispute a tax credit overpayment

You can dispute the overpayment by:

Filling in form TC846 Tax Credits Overpayment (PDF file size 182kb), or
Writing to HMRC at Overpayments Dispute Team, Tax Credit Office, Preston, PR1 4AT

If you decide to dispute an overpayment by writing to the tax credit office, make sure you include the following details:

  • Your full name and contact address
  • Your national insurance number
  • The date of the overpayment decision you are disputing
  • When the overpayment is said to have happened - the tax year or period 
  • Why you are disputing the overpayment - detail any actions you have taken or contact you have made to make sure your award is correct, also detail the mistakes HMRC have made or the advice they gave you that led to the overpayment, include dates and names where possible
  • Your signature.

Time limit

You have up to three months from the date you were sent the decision that you have been overpaid to dispute recovery of that overpayment. This is usually when you receive your final award notice for the year.

Reviewed: August 2017

Anything wrong with this page?

Tell us the problem

Please enter your name
Please enter a valid email address
Please enter what you were doing
Please enter what you'd like to report
Please enter the security code shown

Thank you

If you would like to tell us more please visit our contact page


Struggling with Energy and Water bills?

Find out what benefits, grants and other schemes may be available to you.

Read about help with energy and water costs

England: Council Tax Rebate April 2022

Read our Frequently Asked Questions guide.

Find out about the Council Tax Rebate

Check benefit entitlement

Find out what means-tested benefits you might be entitled to, including tax credits.

Use the Benefits Calculator

Grants Search

Search our database of grant-giving organisations

Search for grants

Find a Local Adviser

Search for your nearest sources of information and advice

Find an Local Adviser