You are now leaving the Turn2us site. Turn2us is not responsible for content on third party sites.

Tax Credits Overpayments - Who can the overpayment be recovered from?

This guide explains about tax credit overpayments and what to do if you think you have been overpaid.

Who can the overpayment be recovered from?

Overpayments are recoverable from you, if the overpayment was made on your claim as a single person, or from you and your partner (or former partner), if the overpayment was made on your joint claim as a couple.

If you have separated from a partner, you should not normally be asked to repay more than 50% of the overpayment. You can agree with your former partner to pay different proportions of the overpayments each – example, one paying 30% and the other 70%. However, if this agreement is not kept, you may be asked to repay at least 50% of the remaining debt.

HM Revenue and Customs' (HMRC's) 'Tax Credits: happens if I've been paid too much' guidance has more information about recovery of tax credit overpayments.

Reviewed: August 2017

Anything wrong with this page?

Tell us the problem

Please enter your name
Please enter a valid email address
Please enter what you were doing
Please enter what you'd like to report
Please enter the security code shown

Thank you

If you would like to tell us more please visit our contact page


Struggling with Energy and Water bills?

Find out what benefits, grants and other schemes may be available to you.

Read about help with energy and water costs

England: Council Tax Rebate April 2022

Read our Frequently Asked Questions guide.

Find out about the Council Tax Rebate

Check benefit entitlement

Find out what means-tested benefits you might be entitled to, including tax credits.

Use the Benefits Calculator

Grants Search

Search our database of grant-giving organisations

Search for grants

Find a Local Adviser

Search for your nearest sources of information and advice

Find an Local Adviser