You are now leaving the Turn2us site. Turn2us is not responsible for content on third party sites.

Travel costs: People with disabilities and carers - Car: Blue Badge Parking Permit

If you have disabilities or are a carer you may be entitled to free or discounted travel on public transport. If you are a driver you may be entitled to an exemption from paying road tax, and to a blue badge which gives you parking concessions.

Car: Blue Badge Parking Permit

Anyone aged over two years old automatically qualifies for a Blue Badge, if they are:

  • Registered blind
  • Receiving the higher rate of the mobility component of Disability Living Allowance or a War Pensioner’s Mobility Supplement
  • Receiving Personal Independence Payment and scored 8 points or more in the ‘moving around’ activity of your assessment or (from 30 August 2019) scored 10 points on the 'going out' activity of your assessment because you are unable to undertake any journey because it would cause you overwhelming psychological distress.
  • In Scotland or Wales only, receiving Personal Independence Payment and scored 8 points or more in the 'moving around activity' or 12 or more points under the 'planning and following a journey' activity of the mobility component.
  • Has received a lump sum benefit within tariff levels 1-8 of the Armed Forces and Reserve Forces (Compensation Scheme) and has been certified as having a permanent and substantial disability which causes inability to walk or very considerable difficulty in walking.

Other people with severe disabilities may also qualify following assessment by their local council. From 30 August 2019 this includes invisible disabilities like autism, mental health problems and dementia.

The Blue Badge Parking Permit allows people who qualify for the scheme – as a driver or a passenger – to park close to where they need to go. It also provides exemption from some tolls at river crossings, bridges and tunnels as well as the London Congestion Charge - although in most cases you have to apply in advance to qualify. It can also be used in some European Union countries.

The scheme is available throughout the UK, but the rules about where you can park differ in each country.

There are also restrictions in the following London boroughs, which have their own concessions:

  • City of London
  • City of Westminster
  • Royal Borough of Kensington and Chelsea
  • Part of the London Borough of Camden.

How do I apply?

You apply for a Blue Badge, which is usually valid for up to three years, through your local council

There may be a small charge.

If you live in England, Gov.UK also allows you to do a postcode search to identify your local council It then links to information on your council’s website that explains how you apply for a Blue Badge.  This is usually paper-based but some councils may also allow you to apply online.


Updated June 2019

Anything wrong with this page?

Tell us the problem

Please enter your name
Please enter a valid email address
Please enter what you were doing
Please enter what you'd like to report
Please enter the security code shown

Thank you

If you would like to tell us more please visit our contact page


Struggling with Energy and Water bills?

Find out what benefits, grants and other schemes may be available to you.

Read about help with energy and water costs

England: Council Tax Rebate April 2022

Read our Frequently Asked Questions guide.

Find out about the Council Tax Rebate

Check benefit entitlement

Find out what means-tested benefits you might be entitled to, including tax credits.

Use the Benefits Calculator

Grants Search

Search our database of grant-giving organisations

Search for grants

Find a Local Adviser

Search for your nearest sources of information and advice

Find an Local Adviser