You are now leaving the Turn2us site. Turn2us is not responsible for content on third party sites.

Universal Credit (UC) income and capital - Universal Credit (UC) income: Self-employed earnings

This guide explains more about the rules relating to income and capital for Universal Credit (UC)

Universal Credit (UC) income: Self-employed earnings

Please read our news article on the suspension of the minimum income floor

If you are self employed, the work allowance and taper rate are the same as for employed people. However, a 'minimum income floor' can be used if you are self employed.

Minimum income floor

When you are self employed and you claim Universal Credit, you are treated as if you are earning a certain amount. This amount is called the 'minimum income floor'.

If the minimum income floor applies to you and you earn below this level in any month, you are treated as earning the minimum income floor.

If you are earning more than the minimum income floor, your actual earnings are taken into account instead.

The minimum income floor is the equivalent of someone working full time (35 hours per week unless you have other responsibilities) on the National Minimum Wage for your age group.

Example: John is a self-employed taxi driver aged 35. He has a slow month and only earns  £800. His minimum income floor is £8.72 (National Minimum Wage for 25+ year olds) x 35 (hours per week) x 52 (weeks) ÷ 12 (months) = £1322.53 per month. This amount would be used to determine his Universal Credit payment for that month, rather than his actual earnings of £800. This means that in this month John would be £300 worse off than someone working as an employee earning the same amount he earned.

Another example: Sally is a self-employed hairdresser aged 24. In her claimant commitment, she has agreed that she can work a maximum of 25 hours per week because she has to look after her son before and after school. She has a good month and earns £900. Her minimum income floor is £8.20 (National Minimum Wage for 21/24 year olds) x 25 (hours per week) x 52 (weeks) ÷ 12 months = £888.33 per month. Sally's Universal Credit payment that month would be calculated using her actual earnings of £900 rather than her minimum income floor.

The Minimum Income Floor doesn't apply to you if you aren't someone who would be expected to look for work. You can read more about that in our Self Employment and Benefits guide.

Start up period

If you start a business while you are claiming Universal Credit, the minimum income floor will not apply to you for the first 12 months. This 'start up period' gives you a chance to grow your business. In the start up period, your Universal Credit payment is calculated based on your actual earnings even if they are lower than your minimum income floor. 

You get a 12 month start up period for the first 12 months of your Universal Credit claim if you started your business less than one year before you started your claim. You can only have one start up period for each business and you can only have one start up period in every five years.

Proof of self-employed earnings

If you are self employed, you will have to supply monthly 'cash-in and cash-out' figures to the Department for Work and Pensions (DWP).

If you fail to supply these figures between seven days before and 14 days after each month, your Universal Credit payment will be suspended.

Updated: April 2020

Anything wrong with this page?

Tell us the problem

Please enter your name
Please enter a valid email address
Please enter what you were doing
Please enter what you'd like to report
Please enter the security code shown

Thank you

If you would like to tell us more please visit our contact page