You are now leaving the Turn2us site. Turn2us is not responsible for content on third party sites.

War Pensions Scheme - How do I apply to the War Pensions Scheme?

The War Pensions Scheme provides financial help if you have an illness or injury caused by service in the Armed Forces before 6 April 2005. It can also help if you are the husband, wife or civil partner of a service person who died as a result of serving in the Armed Forces. In the case of unmarried partners, a substantial relationship must be demonstrated. The War Pensions Scheme consists of either a weekly pension or a one off lump sum payment.

How do I apply to the War Pensions Scheme?

Armed Forces Personnel and Veterans

You should contact Veterans UK to get a claim form. They will also help you fill it in.

You can call their helpline on:
0808 191 4218 (UK) or
+44 1253 866043 (Overseas)

You can download a claim form from Veterans UK website

You should claim within five years of the event that caused the injury or ill health.

Bereaved partner of serving Armed Forces Personnel

You should contact Veterans UK to get a claim form. A War Pensions welfare officer can visit you to help you claim this and anything else you may be entitled to.

You can call their helpline on:
0808 191 4218 (UK) or
+44 1253 866043 (Overseas)

You can also get a form from your nearest Veterans Welfare Service office.

You can download a claim form from Veterans UK website.

What documents will I need to apply to the War Pensions Scheme?

You must enclose any evidence that you feel will support your claim, such as letters or reports from doctor, consultant or hospital, your Certificate or Statement of Service or Accident Report Form

When will my War Pension claim begin?

War Pension claims  aim to be made within an average of 52 working days. Some cases take longer than others simply because they are more complicated.

Change of circumstances

You must report changes in your circumstances which might affect your entitlement to this benefit  to Veterans UK

Anything wrong with this page?

Tell us the problem

Please enter your name
Please enter a valid email address
Please enter what you were doing
Please enter what you'd like to report
Please enter the security code shown

Thank you

If you would like to tell us more please visit our contact page

European Union (EU) Settled Status Form

European Union (EU) Settled Status

Waiting to hear? Missed the deadline? Read our guide to find out what you need to do next.

Find out about European Union (EU) Settled Status

Check benefit entitlement

Find out what means-tested benefits you might be entitled to, including tax credits.

Use the Benefits Calculator

Grants Search

Search our database of grant-giving organisations

Search for grants

Find a Local Adviser

Search for your nearest sources of information and advice

Find an Local Adviser