You are now leaving the Turn2us site. Turn2us is not responsible for content on third party sites.

Widowed Parent's Allowance - How do I claim Widowed Parent's Allowance?

Widowed Parent's Allowance is a benefit for people who were bereaved before 6 April 2017 and have a dependent child.

How do I claim Widowed Parent's Allowance?

If you meet the conditions of entitlement on the 'Can I get Widowed Parent's Allowance?' page, there is no time limit for claiming Widowed Parent's Allowance after the death of your spouse or civil partner.

England, Scotland and Wales

Telephone claim

DWP Bereavement Service:
Tel: 0800 731 0469
Textphone: 0800 731 0464
Tel: 0800 731 0453 (Welsh)
Textphone: 0800 731 0456 (Welsh)

Using the video relay service for British Sign Language (BSL) users

Paper claim

Download a Widowed Parent's Allowance claim form from the Gov.UK website

Northern Ireland

Telephone claim

NI Bereavement Service: 0800 085 2463

What documents will I need to claim Widowed Parent’s Allowance?

You must send originals of the following documents to support your claim (or show them at your local Jobcentre Plus office):

  • Your birth certificate

  • Your children’s birth certificates

  • Your marriage or civil partnership certificate

  • Your husband’s, wife’s or civil partner's certificate of registration of death

If you do not have this evidence, you should not delay claiming.

When will my Widowed Parent’s Allowance claim begin?

A written Widowed Parent’s Allowance claim will begin from the date the claim form is received by the benefit office. A telephone claim for Widowed Parent’s Allowance will begin from the date of the telephone call.

A Widowed Parent’s Allowance claim can be backdated for up to three months before this date if you would have been entitled to it earlier. It does not matter why your claim is late. Request this when claiming.

Change of circumstances

Payment will be suspended if you start cohabiting whilst in receipt of Widowed Parent’s Allowance but it can be reinstated if you stop cohabiting and would still be entitled to the benefit.

Payment will stop if you marry or enter a civil partnership whilst in receipt of Widowed Parent’s Allowance.

Payment will stop if you stop receiving Child Benefit.

You must report changes in your circumstances which might affect your entitlement to this benefit.

Updated: February 2022

Anything wrong with this page?

Tell us the problem

Please enter your name
Please enter a valid email address
Please enter what you were doing
Please enter what you'd like to report
Please enter the security code shown

Thank you

If you would like to tell us more please visit our contact page


Struggling with Energy and Water bills?

Find out what benefits, grants and other schemes may be available to you.

Read about help with energy and water costs

England: Council Tax Rebate April 2022

Read our Frequently Asked Questions guide.

Find out about the Council Tax Rebate

Check benefit entitlement

Find out what means-tested benefits you might be entitled to, including tax credits.

Use the Benefits Calculator

Grants Search

Search our database of grant-giving organisations

Search for grants

Find a Local Adviser

Search for your nearest sources of information and advice

Find an Local Adviser