You are now leaving the Turn2us site. Turn2us is not responsible for content on third party sites.


If you are recently bereaved, there may be benefits, grants or other financial support available to you. In most cases, the help from bereavement benefits assumes you lost your partner within the last 12 months.



To check what benefits you might be entitled to quickly and easily, you can use the Turn2us Benefits Calculator.

Turn2us Benefits Calculator

To read more about the benefits available for people who are recently bereaved select from the list below:

Bereavement Allowance - if you are aged 45 or over but below State Pension age with no dependent children when your husband, wife or civil partner dies.

Bereavement Payment - if you are below State Pension age when your  your husband, wife or civil partner dies or if over State Pension age and your husband, wife or civil partner was not getting category A state retirement pension you may also qualify.

Funeral Payment - if you are (or your partner was) receiving certain benefits and you are responsible for funeral costs.

Widowed Parent's Allowance - if you are pregnant or have dependent children under the age of 19 (or 20 if getting Child Benefit for them) and you were married or in a civil partnership when your partner died.

You may also be eligible for help with housing costs.

Related information

You may want to find out more about the Government's 'Tell us once' service which allows you to report a death to most Government organisations all in one go.


To find out what help may be available from grant giving charities, you can use the Turn2us Grants Search

Turn2us Grants Search

Advice and Support

Turn2us is unable to offer advice on individual situations. To find an adviser in your area to discuss your situation with, you can use the Turn2us Find an Adviser tool

Find an Adviser

Further Information Resources