You are now leaving the Turn2us site. Turn2us is not responsible for content on third party sites.

Ill, injured or have a disability

If you are ill, injured or have a disability, there may be benefits, grants or other financial support available to you.

Skip to content:

man with one arm sitting on a bench


To check what benefits you might be entitled to quickly and easily, you can use the Turn2us Benefits Calculator.

Turn2us Benefits Calculator

To read more about the benefits available for people who are ill, injured or disabled select from the list below:

Attendance Allowance - If you are aged 65 or over and are affected by physical or mental illness or disability and you need help with your personal care.

Disability Living Allowance (children up to age 16) - If your child is aged under 16 and has extra care needs or mobility needs (difficulty getting around) as a result of a disability.

Disability Living Allowance (Northern Ireland) - If you are aged 16-64 and have extra care needs or mobility needs (difficulty getting around) as a result of a disability.

Industrial Injuries Disablement Benefits - If you are disabled as a result of an accident at work or a disease caused by your job (but not if this is self-employment).

Personal Independence Payment (PIP) - If you are aged 16-64 and have extra care or mobility needs (difficulty getting around) as a result of a disability.

If you have claimed PIP and want to know about the medical assessment please see our PIP assessment guide

If you are unable to work due to your illness, injury or disability you may be able to claim one of the benefits below:

Employment and Support Allowance - If you are aged 16 or over and under State Pension age and are unable to work because of sickness or disability, and aren’t getting Statutory Sick Pay. Income-related Employment and Support Allowance is being replaced by Universal Credit.  Read our Employment and Support Allowance guide to find out who can still claim.

Statutory Sick Pay - If you are an employee and you are sick and unable to work.

If you are getting Income-related Employment and Support Allowance (ESA), Income Support, Income-based Jobseeker's Allowance (JSA), Housing Benefit or Pension Credit, check if you can get an extra amount called the Severe Disability Premium.

Universal Credit is gradually replacing Income-related Employment and Support Allowance. Find out more from our Universal Credit guide.

You may also be eligible for help with housing costs.

Related information


To find out what help may be available from grant giving charities, you can use the Turn2us Grants Search

Turn2us Grants Search

Advice and Support

Turn2us is unable to offer advice on individual situations. To find an adviser in your area to discuss your situation with you can use the Turn2us Find an Adviser tool.

Find an Adviser

Further Information Resources

Disability issues

  • Disability Law Service: Please contact for free legal advice for disabled people and their carers in relation to community care, employment (including discrimination), housing and welfare benefits
  • Scope: Disability charity providing information and general support.

Mental health issues

  • Mind: Advice and general support for anyone experiencing mental health issues.

Last Updated: February 2019


Need help using our benefits calculator or grants search tools?

Call us on 0808 802 2000

(9am - 5.30pm Monday-Friday)