You are now leaving the Turn2us site. Turn2us is not responsible for content on third party sites.

Studying (aged 16+)

If you are in higher or further education, find out what help may be available to you through benefits, grants or other financial support.

Skip to content:

Student sitting on the floor


The Turn2us Benefits Calculator cannot accurately calculate benefit entitlement for students.

To read about the benefits available for people who are studying in further or higher education, select from the list below:


To find out what help may be available from grant giving charities, you can use the Turn2us Grants Search

Students and Coronavirus

Some students are facing financial problems due to this situation please look at the following guidance that may be helpful during this difficult time.  

Many universities provide a Emergency Assistance Grant,  Financial Assistance Fund or interest free loans. You can just google "hardship + the name of your institution", which will generally bring up the relevant page or go onto the website and search.

Talk to you tutor or contact you student union.

Advice and Support Agencies

Find an Adviser tool

Turn2us is unable to offer advice on individual situations. However, you can find an adviser in your area to discuss your situation with you by using the Turn2us Find an Adviser tool

Find out where to get information and advice on student matters

Student Welfare Office/ Student Liaison Office

Most universities and colleges will have a student advice/welfare service. They normally provide advice on a range of issues including housing, benefits and student financial support.  You may also be able to access Hardship Payments/Emergency Help Payments through some student support offices

Disabled Students Helplines


Disability Rights UK run a free specialist helpline to advise and support disabled people who are 16 or over and live in England, who are studying or wish to study full-time or part-time. They are not able to provide detailed information to students in Scotland, Wales or Northern Ireland.

Tel: 0800 328 5050 (Tues 11.00 am - 1.00 pm, and Thurs, 11.00 am – 1.00 pm)  Email: .


LEAD Scotland offer advice and support for students with disabilities in Scotland. 
Tel: 0131 228 9441 – Monday, Wednesday and Thursday 2.00 pm-4.00 pm and Tuesday and Friday 10.00 am-12.00 pm.

GOV.UK Website - Student Finance

Information on range of financial support for students provided.

National Apprenticeship Helpline

Information on finding apprenticeships and what you can expect to receive as an apprentice  

National Union Students

Represents the interest of students and offers practical information

National Union of Students (NUS) website

Other Useful resources

Gov.UK website: Education and Learning information

Updated: April 2020