Alzheimer's and Welfare Benefits


If you live with Alzheimer's disease, and depending on your age, you may be entitled to disability welfare benefits such as Employment and Support Allowance (ESA), Personal Independence Payment (PIP) or Attendance Allowance (AA)

Employment and Support Allowance (ESA)

ESA is money for people under pension age who have limited capability for work because of their sickness or disability.

There are different types of ESA:

  • New Style ESA for people who live in Universal Credit areas

  • Contributory ESA for people who don’t live in Universal Credit areas

  • Income-related ESA for people who don’t live in Universal Credit areas.

To get New Style ESA or Contributory ESA, you have to have paid or been credited with enough National Insurance contributions.

If you live in a Universal Credit area and want to claim income-related ESA, you may have to claim Universal Credit instead. Use our Benefits Calculator to find out.

You can find out how to apply for ESA on the Gov.UK website

You will need information such as your National Insurance number and proof of identity.

You will then have to prove your limited capability for work at a Work Capability Assessment. This is made up of two parts.

Firstly a Limited Capability for Work Questionnaire will be sent to you, which you will need to complete and return.

Secondly, you will usually need to attend a medical assessment in person. A healthcare professional will see you in a face-to-face appointment then report their findings to the Department for Work and Pensions (DWP).

Find out more about Employment and Support Allowance (ESA)

Personal Independence Payment (PIP)

PIP is money for people who have extra care needs or mobility needs as a result of a disability. You have to be under 65 to make a new claim for PIP.

To claim PIP you will need to fill out an initial form. You can get the claim form by ringing the DWP. You should start collecting the documents that you want to put with your claim at this point.

Once the form arrives, you should fill it in and send it back to the DWP with any documents you have.

You will then hear from Atos or Capita to arrange a medical assessment. After the assessment you will receive a letter telling you of the result.

Find out more about PIP

Attendance Allowance (AA)

Attendance Allowance is money for people aged 65 or over who have care needs.

To claim AA, you will need to fill out an initial claim form. You can get this by ringing the AA helpline (0800 731 0122 Monday - Friday 8.00 am to 6.00 pm) or you can download the Attendance Allowance form online.

The form comes with notes telling you how to fill it in and where to send it. After your claim is received, you may have to have a medical examination although this would not usually happen.

Find out more about Attendance Allowance

Other Benefits

Carer’s Allowance can be paid to carers who spend at least 35 hours a week looking after someone.

If you are retired, there may be a range of welfare benefits that you may be able to claim.

You may be able to receive help with medical costs and transport.

You may also be entitled to claim a discount on the Council Tax because of your disabilities or be entitled to Council Tax Support to help pay the Council Tax bill.

Use our Benefits Calculator to find out what benefits you could get and use our Grants Search to find out if you are eligible for a charitable grant.

For general information and advice on Alzheimer’s disease and other conditions that cause dementia, contact the Alzheimer’s Society.