Benefit Cap: Are you affected by the changes?


The Benefit Cap is reducing on 7th November 2016.  Are you ready?

You can find out if the new Benefit Cap affects you in a number of ways:

1. A letter from the Department for Work and Pensions (DWP)

If you are claiming benefits now and you will be affected by the new Benefit Cap, the DWP should have written to you to warn you of the change.Make sure you read your letter carefully and get advice if you’re not sure what to do next.

2. Use our Benefits Calculator

Use our Benefits Calculator to check your entitlement.Our calculator tells you if you are affected by the new Benefit Cap and how much you are entitled to.

3. Read our Benefit Cap Guide

Read our Benefit Cap Guide to find out more about how the Benefit Cap works, what the exemptions are and what to do next.

4. Contact the DWP

You can contact the DWP directly to check whether the Benefit Cap will apply to you and how much your benefits will be reduced.

For Universal Credit:
Telephone: 0345 600 0723
Telephone (Welsh): 0345 600 3018
Textphone: 0345 600 0743
Monday to Friday, 8am to 6pm

For other benefits:
Telephone: 0345 605 7064
Telephone (Welsh): 0345 605 7066
Textphone: 0345 608 8551

Monday to Friday, 8am to 6pm

5. Find an Adviser

If you’re not sure whether or when the new Benefit Cap affects you, you can use our Find an Adviser tool to find a local benefits advisor to help you.

What can you do?

If your benefits are reduced by the Benefit Cap, it could be harder for you to make ends meet. Make sure you read our Benefit Cap guide to find out about the exemptions and the steps you can take to make things easier.

The Benefit Cap reduces Housing Benefit or the Housing element of Universal Credit, so you find it more difficult to afford your rent. Our Discretionary Housing Payment guide tells you about a top-up you could receive from your local Council and how to apply. If you’re really struggling, check out our Emergency Assistance guide for information on other help.

Always seek advice straight away if you are at risk of losing your home because of the Benefit Cap.  You can find a local Housing advisor using our Find an Adviser tool. You can also ask your local Council for help to keep your home from their Floating Housing Support Service.  Find your local Council on the Find your local Council page of the website.