Don’t miss out on £300 Winter Fuel Payment


Older people who have deferred their state pension will need to make their own claim for Winter Fuel Payment (WFP).

People usually get a WFP automatically if they are claim State Pension or another social security benefit.

However, those born on or before 6 August 1953 and don’t claim their State Pension are still eligible for WFP, and will need to make a claim to receive it.

WFP pays between £100 and £300 to help with heating bills, depending on your circumstances. The payment is tax-free and won’t affect your other benefits.

The sum is usually paid between November and December.

Simon Hopkins, Chief Executive of Turn2us, said: “We see a rise in people seeking our help every Winter as they struggle under the pressure of increased energy costs. Too many are forced to make the difficult choice between heating and eating.

“It is therefore vital that people receive the help with their winter energy costs that they are entitled to, particularly older people whose health is especially vulnerable to living in a cold home.”

People need to telephone the Winter Fuel Payment Centre to claim on 03459 15 15 15 (Textphone: 0345 606 0285), which is open 8am to 6pm, Monday to Friday.

They should have their National Insurance number and bank or building society details when they call.