If you are a migrant to the UK, find out what help might be available to you.



We use the term ‘migrant’ to mean a person who has come to Great Britain regardless of your nationality. The information in this section can apply to you if you are a European national or a national of another country. If you have recently moved to Great Britain, some of the information will be relevant to you even if you are British or Irish.


Whether you can be entitled to benefits depends on your immigration status and whether you meet the presence and residence rules for the benefit you want to claim. 

You should read the information in this section before using our Benefits Calculator.

Immigration Status

If you and your partner and child(ren) who live with you are all British or Irish citizens or have been granted settled status under the EU Settlement Scheme you do not need to read this section. However, you still need to read the Presence and Residence Rules.

In all other cases, your immigration status may affect what benefits you are entitled to. The immigration status of your partner and child(ren) can affect how much benefit you can be paid, and can mean you should not claim specific benefits. 

This means you need to start by reading the information on Immigration status and benefits.

You will then also need to read the information on the presence and residence rules.

Presence and Residence Rules

Most benefits have presence and residence rules that you have to satisfy whatever your nationality. See our guide on Presence and Residence Tests for more information for which tests you have to satisfy for the different benefits, and what is required to satisfy each. 

Benefits Calculator

To check what benefits you might be entitled to quickly and easily, you can use the Turn2us Benefits Calculator.


Many grant-giving charities will help people regardless of immigration and residence status, including if you cannot claim welfare benefits. 

To find out what help may be available based on your situation, circumstances and needs, you can visit the link below.

Advice and Support

Turn2us is unable to offer advice on individual situations.  

If you need immigration advice ensure that you get the advice from someone who is either registered with the Office of the Immigration Services Commissioner (OISC) to give such advice or exempt from such registration.

The Office of the Immigration Services Commissioner (OISC)

You can check the OISC website, which lists all advisers and advice organisations that are either OISC-registered or exempt from requiring such registration.

Find an Adviser

To find an adviser in your area, you can use our Find an Adviser tool.

Further resources

The rules on benefit entitlements for migrants are complex and unfortunately many claimants are incorrectly refused benefits and need to challenge these refusals. If your situation is complicated and you need to check what you can claim or if your benefit claim has been refused you should get independent advice. You may be able to get help from an organisation that specialises in advising specific groups of migrants or from a general advice organisation such as Citizens Advice or a Law Centre.

Organisations providing advice and information for migrants

British Red Cross

A humanitarian charity helping refugees and asylum seekers.

Asylum Aid

A charity providing legal representation to vulnerable people seeking asylum in the UK.

Greater Manchester Immigration Aid Unit

An organisation providing advice, support and representation to people subject to immigration control.

The Joint Council for the Welfare of Immigrants (JCWI)

A charity providing legal advice, support and campaigning for justice in immigration, nationality and refugee law and policy.

Migrant Legal Help

A charity supporting asylum seekers, refugees and victims of human trafficking and modern slavery.

Project 17

An organisation working with migrant families with no recourse to public funds

Rights of Women

A women's charity providing women legal advice and information. 

Scottish Refugee Council

A charity providing advice and services to asylum seekers and refugees in Scotland. 

Welsh Refugee Council

A charity supporting asylum seekers and refugees in Wales.


An independent charity helping EU citizens to stay in the UK after Brexit, offering free advice and support services. 

Work Rights Centre

A charity helping migrants.

Refugee Action

A charity providing advice and support to refugees and asylum seekers in the UK and campaigning for a fairer asylum system.

The Refugee Council

A charity providing advice to refugees and people seeking asylum in the UK.