Armed Forces Compensation Scheme - How do I challenge an Armed Forces Compensation Scheme Decision?

The Armed Forces Compensation Scheme provides financial help if you have an illness or injury caused by service in the Armed Forces on or after 6 April 2005.

Last reviewed 12 September 2023

How do I challenge an Armed Forces Compensation Scheme Decision?

If you do not agree with your Armed Forces Compensation Scheme (AFCS) claim decision, you can ask for the decision to be reconsidered. This means that your claim will be looked at again by a different assessing officer.

Requests for a decision to be reconsidered must be made in writing, within 12 months of the date on your notification.

You will need to give reasons for your request:

  • Explaining why you consider the decision is wrong
  • Providing any information that relates to your injury/illness which were not provided at the time your claim was originally considered and that you think will help with the reconsideration.

If you ask for a decision to be reconsidered, you will be notified in writing,

Veterans UK will either:

  • Uphold the original decision, or
  • Change the original decision.

If you still feel the decision is wrong, you can appeal to an independent tribunal within 12 months from the date of your decision letter. 

If the tribunal rejects your appeal, you can request the written reasons for their decision. You have six weeks from receiving the reasons to appeal their decision

The steps that you must take in order to appeal depend on where you live. You can get further details on appealing from Veterans UK:

Call their helpline on: 0808 1914 2 18 (UK) or +44 1253 866 043 (Overseas)


Printable version of this guide

Was this page helpful?

Tell us the problem


Thank you

Thank you for your feedback. If you would like to tell us more, please visit our contact us page.