Armed Forces Independence Payment - Can I get an Armed Forces Independence Payment?

The Armed Forces Independence Payment provides financial support to seriously injured service personnel and veterans

Last reviewed 19 September 2023

Can I get an Armed Forces Independence Payment?

Armed Forces Independence Payment (AFIP) is an alternative to Personal Independence Payment (PIP), Adult Disability Payment Scotland or Disability Living Allowance (DLA). You cannot get AFIP and PIP/DLA for the same period.

To be eligible for an Armed Forces Independence Payment, you must be entitled to a Guaranteed Income Payment (GIP) of 50% or higher of your previous earnings through the Armed Forces Compensation Scheme.

If you are not sure of the rate of your GIP, you can contact the Veterans UK Helpline on 0808 1914 2 18

If you are not entitled to a 50% GIP award or over, you can still apply for PIP in the usual way.

If you receive compensation from the War Pensions Scheme, you will not be entitled to an Armed Forces Independence Payment as you have access to other allowances designed to cover the additional costs related to disability.


Printable version of this guide

Was this page helpful?

Tell us the problem


Thank you

Thank you for your feedback. If you would like to tell us more, please visit our contact us page.