Basic State Pension - How do I challenge a Basic State Pension decision?

Basic State Pension is money paid to people who reached state pension age before 6 April 2016.

Last reviewed 20 September 2023

How do I challenge a Basic State Pension decision?

If you are unhappy with a decision about your Basic State Pension, then you can find out the reasons for it, or ask that it is changed. 

Any decision about your Basic State Pension will be sent to you by letter. The date at the top of the letter is the decision date, which you need to know if you want to challenge the decision.

If you do not understand a decision, you can ask for an explanation. You can request a written statement of reasons by contacting the Department for Work and Pensions (DWP) using the details in the decision letter.

If you think a decision is wrong, you can challenge it and ask the DWP to change it. You must do this within a strict time limit, usually one month from the date of the decision.

You can read more about challenging decisions in our Challenging Department for Work and Pensions benefits decisions guide

If you need help to understand a decision or to get it changed, you can use our Find an Advisor tool to find a benefits adviser near you. 


Printable version of this guide

Was this page helpful?

Tell us the problem


Thank you

Thank you for your feedback. If you would like to tell us more, please visit our contact us page.

Check benefit entitlement

Find out what means-tested benefits you might be entitled to, including tax credits.

Use the Benefits Calculator

Grants Search

Search our database of grant-giving organisations.

Search for grants

Find an adviser

Search for advice and support services near you.

Find an adviser