Challenging a Budgeting Loan decision - Have the decision looked at by the Independent Case Examiner’s office (ICE)

Your options if you think a Budgeting Loan decision is wrong

Have the decision looked at by the Independent Case Examiner’s office (ICE)

You must ask the benefit office to look at the decision again before you can have the decision looked at by an officer at the Independent Case Examiner's office (ICE).

You should ask the Independent Case Examiner's office to look at the decision again if you think the decision is still wrong. The ICE is an independent organisation, completely separate from the Department for Work and Pensions (DWP).


Contact the ICE office in writing using the contact details on your decision letter and ask them to look at the decision again.

In your letter you should include:

  • Your name and contact details

  • Your

  • Details of the item(s) you applied for

  • The date of the decision made by the benefit office

  • Details of why you disagree with the decision made by the benefit office

A decision maker will look at the decision and decide whether it should be changed.

You may be asked for more information or evidence. You should provide it as soon as possible and let them know if there is likely to be a delay.


Time limits

You have 28 days from the date on the latest decision letter.

If you missed the deadline for reasons out of your control, such as illness or bereavement, you may still be able to have your decision looked at again.

If you have missed the time limit, you should explain why when you contact the ICE office.


Possible outcomes

When the decision has been looked at again, if the ICE office decide that it is wrong, the decision will be changed and you will be sent a new decision letter. 

The benefit office will prepare your payment but this will not be ready on the same day that you receive your decision.

If the ICE office decide that they can’t change the decision, they will write to you to confirm this.

This should take no longer than 21 working days.


If you still think the decision is wrong:

You may be able to ask the court for permission to apply for a Judicial Review of the decision. You will need specialist advice for this. Find an Adviser tool


Printable version of this guide

Was this page helpful?

Tell us the problem


Thank you

Thank you for your feedback. If you would like to tell us more, please visit our contact us page.