Education Maintenance Allowance EMA - Scotland, Wales, Northern Ireland - Education Maintenance Allowance (EMA): England

Education Maintenance Allowance (EMA) is extra money for students aged 16-19 in Scotland, Wales and Northern Ireland

Last reviewed 08 April 2024

Education Maintenance Allowance (EMA): England

The EMA scheme in England is now closed. However, schools and colleges have funds to award bursaries to people aged 16-19 who need help.

If you are:

You could receive a bursary of £1,200 a year from your school or college.

If you are not in one of these groups, you can still apply for a bursary from your school or college but any award will be made at the school or college's discretion. They will also decide what conditions you should meet to receive a bursary - for example, linked to your behaviour or attendance record.

You can read more about bursaries on the 16-19 bursaries page of the Gov.UK website

Live in Scotland or Wales but plan to study in England

If you live in Scotland or Wales but plan to study in England, you can get EMA but you should apply in the country you normally live.


Printable version of this guide

Was this page helpful?

Tell us the problem


Thank you

Thank you for your feedback. If you would like to tell us more, please visit our contact us page.