Full time students and benefits - Can full-time students get help with Council Tax?

Find out more about the definition of a full-time student for benefit purposes and whether you can claim any benefits or tax credits

Can full-time students get help with Council Tax?

Most full time students do not have to pay Council Tax if everyone in the property is a full-time student.

If you live with one other person who is not a student, they might be able to get a discount on the Council Tax.

If you are a full-time student and are being charged Council Tax, you should get support from your university/college or you should find an adviser.

Reviewed: January 2023


Printable version of this guide

Was this page helpful?

Tell us the problem


Thank you

Thank you for your feedback. If you would like to tell us more, please visit our contact us page.

Find an adviser

Search for advice and support services near you.

Find an Adviser

Grants Search

Search our database of grant-giving organisations.

Search for grants