Industrial Injuries Disablement Benefit - How do I challenge an Industrial Injuries Disablement Benefit decision?

Industrial Injuries Disablement Benefit (IIDB) is for people who are disabled because of an accident at work, or who have certain diseases caused by their work (but not if this is self-employment) IIDB is a no fault scheme paid by Department for Work and Pensions.

How do I challenge an Industrial Injuries Disablement Benefit decision?

If you disagree with the decision made on your benefit claim you can ask for a written statement of reasons.

If you still believe the decision is wrong, for example due to incorrect information being used, you can ask for it to be looked at again, and/or appeal.

The time limits are strict, you will usually be given one month to dispute a decision, so it is important to seek advice and act quickly.

Further information on Challenges and complaints

Related benefits

As well as IIDB, some people might get; 

Constant Attendance Allowance (CAA)

CAA is paid with IIDB if you need care and attention because of your disability and you have a 100% disablement assessment. There are four rates of benefit. The amount you get depends on what care you have to have and how often you need it.

The benefits office will automatically assess you for Constant Attendance Allowance if you are assessed as having 100% disablement when you claim IIDB. If your disability gets worse after you have claimed IIDB, you can ask about claiming Constant Attendance Allowance then.

You can find the current rates of Constant Attendance Allowance on GOV.UK website.


Exceptionally Severe Disablement Allowance (ESDA)

ESDA is paid with Constant Attendance Allowance. You only get this if you are getting Constant Attendance Allowance at one of the two higher rates, and your care needs are likely to be permanent. The current weekly rate of ESDA is £83.10. 

Reduced Earnings Allowance

This is a benefit you can get if your earnings are reduced because of your accident or disease, or if you cannot work at all. However, you can only get Reduced Earnings Allowance(REA) for industrial accidents that happened, or diseases that started, before 1 October 1990.

The amount of REA you get will depend on how much you earn in your regular employment.

Contact the Barnsley Industrial Injuries Disablement Benefit (IIDB) centre for a claim form and more information

Retirement Allowance.

This is for people who have been getting Reduced Earnings Allowance and who stop working after they reach 66. You get Retirement Allowance at 25% of the rate of your Reduced Earnings Allowance when you stopped work. You do not have to make a claim for Retirement Allowance because you only get it if you have been getting Reduced Earnings Allowance.

Claims for the additional allowances listed above that you may get with IIDB can be complicated, general details have been provided on the allowances. You should seek advice from a specialist adviser before making a claim for IIDB and any allowances.  You can use our Find an Adviser tool to find local advice services in your area.


Industrial Injuries Disablement Benefits and other benefits

Industrial Injuries Disablement benefit, Reduced Earnings Allowance and Retirement Allowance are taken into account in full as income for the calculation of all s. Constant Attendance Allowance and Exceptional Severe Disablement Allowance are disregarded.


Printable version of this guide

Was this page helpful?

Tell us the problem


Thank you

Thank you for your feedback. If you would like to tell us more, please visit our contact us page.