Overpayments under the Universal Credit system - What if I don't think I've been overpaid?

Read our guide to overpayments under the Universal Credit system and what to do about them.

What if I don't think I've been overpaid?

If you do not agree that you have been overpaid, you can ask for this to be looked at again and appeal against the decision. See our Challenging Decisions information.

You might need to ask the Department for Work and Pensions (DWP) to explain exactly how they have worked out the amount of overpayment.

If you think the benefits office may have got the amounts or the dates wrong, you should contact them and let them know what you think they have got wrong.

If you have any evidence that can show they have made a mistake, you should send copies of it to the benefits office. 


Printable version of this guide

Was this page helpful?

Tell us the problem


Thank you

Thank you for your feedback. If you would like to tell us more, please visit our contact us page.

Check benefit entitlement

Find out what means-tested benefits you might be entitled to, including tax credits.

Use the Benefits Calculator

Grants Search

Search our database of grant-giving organisations.

Search for grants

Find an adviser

Search for advice and support services near you.

Find an Adviser