Prisoners on remand - Help with housing costs - On remand

Check what benefits you can get if you are a prisoner on remand

Help with housing costs - On remand

While you are on remand or in a bail hostel, you can remain entitled to:

This is as long as your absence from home is unlikely to exceed 52 weeks and you intend to return home.

Contact your local council for information on what you need to do.

If you were getting Universal Credit to help with your housing costs before being held on remand, you can continue to get it for up to six months.

If you are a homeowner, you can continue to receive Support for mortgage interest if you are claiming Income Support, income-related Employment and Support Allowance or Pension Credit, or were claiming Universal Support before going to prison but this will also only be paid for up to 52 weeks.

If your home is unoccupied while you are in prison, you can apply for a Council Tax exemption as long as you are not in prison for non-payment of a fine or Council Tax.

Reviewed: April 2022


Printable version of this guide

Was this page helpful?

Tell us the problem


Thank you

Thank you for your feedback. If you would like to tell us more, please visit our contact us page.