Right to Reside - Further information and advice

Some benefits require you to have a right to reside.

Last reviewed 14 June 2023

Further information and advice

Showing that you have a qualifying right to reside can be complex, particularly if you need to rely on your free movement rights. Unfortunately many claimants are incorrectly refused benefits and need to challenge these refusals. If you think you have been wrongly refused benefits you should challenge the decision and get independent advice. You may be able to get help from an organisation that specialises in advising European nationals and their family members or you can contact a general advice organisation such as Citizens Advice or a law centre

Turn2us is unable to offer advice on individual situations.

To find an adviser in your area, you can use our Find an Adviser tool

Organisations providing advice and information for European nationals and family members

The AIRE Centre (Advice on Individual Rights in Europe) - a specialist legal charity.

Greater Manchester Immigration Aid Unit - an organisation providing advice, support and representation to people subject to immigration control.

The Joint Council for the Welfare of Immigrants (JCWI) - a charity providing legal advice, support and campaigning for justice in immigration, nationality and refugee law and policy. 

Settled - an independent charity helping EU citizens to stay in the UK after Brexit, offering free advice and support services. 

Work Rights Centre - a charity helping migrants.


Printable version of this guide

Was this page helpful?

Tell us the problem


Thank you

Thank you for your feedback. If you would like to tell us more, please visit our contact us page.