Self employment and benefits - Do I need to register as self employed?

If you or your partner are working, or thinking of starting work, as a self employed person you might qualify for welfare benefits to top up your income.

Do I need to register as self employed?

Self-employed people have to register with HM Revenue and Customs (HMRC) to pay tax.

This won't register you as self employed for benefits purposes.

There is no single way to register as self employed for benefits. You should tell each organisation that pays you benefits (for example, the Department for Work and Pensions (DWP), HM Revenue and Customs (HMRC) or your local council) that you are self employed and you should let them know your income from self employment.

Reviewed: April 2022



Printable version of this guide

Was this page helpful?

Tell us the problem


Thank you

Thank you for your feedback. If you would like to tell us more, please visit our contact us page.

Check benefit entitlement

Find out what means-tested benefits you might be entitled to, including tax credits.

Use the Benefits Calculator

Find an adviser

Search for advice and support services near you.

Find an adviser