Student Support - How do I claim student support?

Students in universities and colleges of higher education may be able to get help with tuition fees, the costs of their course and their living expenses by getting student support in the form of student grants (including bursaries) or loans from the Government.

How do I claim student support?

You can apply online or on paper. Follow the links below for the applications forms.

If you are a national of another European Union country, you can find more information on the Gov.UK: Student Finance - EU Students website page or you can contact Student Finance Services

What documents will I need?

You must provide your passport. If you do not have a passport, you can send your original birth certificate (or adoption certificate). If you send either of these documents, they must be accompanied by an identity confirmation form. Ask the Student Finance organisation for the country of the UK you live in where you get this from.

Depending on your circumstances, you may have to supply other evidence. For example, if you are claiming extra money because of a disability, you will need to provide evidence of the disability, such as a letter from a doctor.

If you will be under 25 at the start of the academic year, and you are married or in a civil partnership, you need to send your original marriage or civil partnership certificate.


Printable version of this guide

Was this page helpful?

Tell us the problem


Thank you

Thank you for your feedback. If you would like to tell us more, please visit our contact us page.

Financial help for students

If you are in higher or further education, read our overview covering what financial help may be available to you.

Financial help while studying