Tax Credits Overpayments - Who can the overpayment be recovered from?
Information on tax credit overpayments and what to do if you think you have been overpaid.
Who can the overpayment be recovered from?
Overpayments are recoverable from you, if the overpayment was made on your claim as a single person, or from you and your partner (or former partner), if the overpayment was made on your joint claim as a couple.
If you have separated from a partner, you should not normally be asked to repay more than 50% of the overpayment. You can agree with your former partner to pay different proportions of the overpayments each – example, one paying 30% and the other 70%. However, if this agreement is not kept, you may be asked to repay at least 50% of the remaining debt.
HM Revenue and Customs' (HMRC's) 'Tax Credits: happens if I've been paid too much' guidance has more information about recovery of tax credit overpayments.
Reviewed: August 2022