No Cold Homes
Our fuel poverty campaign No Cold Homes ran from 18 November 2015 to 16 December 2015. Through the campaign, we were promoting the support available for people who can’t afford to heat their homes this winter. Thanks to all those who promoted the campaign through their social media channels and other networks, and helped to make it a success.
Read all the highlights of our No Cold Homes campaign
Please note that all of our online No Cold Homes resources are still available for those who are struggling with their energy costs.
Benefits Awareness Month
We know from speaking to the people we help that anyone can experience financial hardship at any time. Just one unexpected change in circumstances, such as job loss, the onset of illness or family breakdown, can place a huge strain on income and push people into real financial need.
We wanted to bring this to the focus for our Benefits Awareness Month campaign for 2015. Launched in April, our campaign message was simple – if one change has left you struggling, use our free tools to check what financial support could be available.
As part of the campaign, we spoke to over 2,000 low income households to see how one change had affected them. We found that:
- Nine in 10 families who had experienced a change are struggling to pay for food and essentials
- Nearly three-fifths say their financial struggles have had a negative impact on their health
- Over a third have seen their debt levels worsen.
You can read the full findings in our One Change campaign press release or see the results in visual form by downloading our One Change campaign infographics.
The campaign helped us to raise awareness of how families are struggling and encourage more people to check what support is available.
- Over 105,000 benefit calculations were completed on our website - more than double the number we saw during 2014’s campaign
- We were mentioned over 160 times in the media, some featuring our users' stories, giving an insight in to their real-life experiences
- A number of charities supported us and helped to spread the word, providing guest posts for our blog and sharing content on social media.
Cut out the Cold
Over a million families in the UK are now living in fuel poverty, unable to afford to heat their homes. So in January 2015, we launched our ‘Cut out the Cold’ campaign to raise awareness of the support available to help struggling families pay their energy bills.
Our campaign research uncovered the extent to which low income families are struggling with this issue:
- Nearly four-fifths of families have struggled with energy bills in the last year
- Three-quarters of parents told us their children’s health has suffered as a result
- More than half said it has affected their children’s school work.
You can see more of the findings in our Cut out the Cold campaign press release or take a look at our Cut out the Cold infographics.
The campaign helped us to highlight the everyday impact of cold homes on families’ lives and allowed us to help greater numbers through our tools and information:
- We saw a 67% increase in web traffic during the campaign
- Calculations on our Benefits Calculator more than doubled on the same time last year
- There was a 53% increase in searches on our Grants Search
If you’re struggling to pay your energy bills, try our free tools to check you are claiming your welfare benefit entitlements and if there may be charity grants available to you.
See also our Energy Schemes information