You are now leaving the Turn2us site. Turn2us is not responsible for content on third party sites.

Armed Forces Compensation Scheme - How do I apply to the Armed Forces Compensation Scheme?

The Armed Forces Compensation Scheme provides financial help if you have an illness or injury caused by service in the Armed Forces on or after 6 April 2005.

How do I apply to the Armed Forces Compensation Scheme?

Armed Forces Personnel and Veterans

You should contact Veterans UK to get a claim form. They will also help you fill it in. You should claim no later than seven years after the injury or illness, unless you’re claiming for an illness that started later (sometimes known as a ‘late onset illness’).

You can call their helpline on:

  • 0808 1914 218 (UK) or

  • +44 1253 866 043 (Overseas)

You can download a claim form from the Veterans UK website.

Bereaved partner of serving Armed Forces Personnel

You should contact Veterans UK to get a claim form. A war pensions welfare officer will visit you to help you claim Survivor's Guaranteed Independence Payment (SGIP) and anything else you may be entitled to.

You can call their helpline on:

  • 0808 1914 218 (UK) or

  • +44 1253 866 043 (Overseas)

You can also get a form from your nearest Veterans Welfare Service office.

You can also download a claim form from the Veterans UK website.

What documents will I need to apply to the Armed Forces Compensation Scheme?

If your claim is in relation to a specific incident or accident, you should provide the following documents or any  papers you may have: 

  • Accident Report Forms

  • Hurt Certificates

Change of circumstances

Awards under the Armed Forces Compensation Scheme are intended to be full and final, taking into account the expected development of an injury or illness.

Under certain circumstances, previous decisions to award injury benefit can be changed if there have been further developments since the original decision was made. For instance, if you feel that your injury or illness has worsened or caused a further injury to develop, you can ask for your original decision to be reviewed.

For details of circumstances in which a review can be carried out and when a decision may be changed, contact Veterans UK.

You can also get further details from the Gov.UK information guide 'Armed Forces Compensation: What you need to know'

Updated: February 2020

Anything wrong with this page?

Tell us the problem

Please enter your name
Please enter a valid email address
Please enter what you were doing
Please enter what you'd like to report
Please enter the security code shown

Thank you

If you would like to tell us more please visit our contact page

European Union (EU) Settled Status Form

European Union (EU) Settled Status

Waiting to hear? Missed the deadline? Read our guide to find out what you need to do next.

Find out about European Union (EU) Settled Status

Check benefit entitlement

Find out what means-tested benefits you might be entitled to, including tax credits.

Use the Benefits Calculator

Grants Search

Search our database of grant-giving organisations

Search for grants

Find a Local Adviser

Search for your nearest sources of information and advice.

Find local advice