You are now leaving the Turn2us site. Turn2us is not responsible for content on third party sites.

Armed Forces Independence Payment - Can I get an Armed Forces Independence Payment?

Find out more about the Armed Forces Independence Payment.

Can I get an Armed Forces Independence Payment?

Armed Forces Independence Payment (AFIP) is an alternative to Personal Independence Payment (PIP) or Disability Living Allowance (DLA). You cannot get AFIP and PIP/DLA for the same period.

To be eligible for an Armed Forces Independence Payment, you must be entitled to a Guaranteed Income Payment (GIP) of 50% or higher through the Armed Forces Compensation Scheme.

If you are not sure of the rate of your GIP, you can contact the Veterans UK Helpline on 0808 1914 2 18

If you are not entitled to a 50% GIP award or over, you can still apply for DLA or PIP in the usual way.

If you receive compensation from the War Pensions Scheme, you will not be entitled to an Armed Forces Independence Payment as you have access to other allowances designed to cover the additional costs related to disability.

Anything wrong with this page?

Tell us the problem

Please enter your name
Please enter a valid email address
Please enter what you were doing
Please enter what you'd like to report
Please enter the security code shown

Thank you

If you would like to tell us more please visit our contact page


Search for a grant

Look for funds that might be able to give you a grant and/or other types of help.

Use the Grants Search tool