You are now leaving the Turn2us site. Turn2us is not responsible for content on third party sites.

Carer's Credits - Can I get Carer's Credits?

Find out more about Carer's Credits.

Can I get Carer's Credits?

There are different routes to qualify for Carer’s Credits, if you are not receiving Carer’s Allowance (and don’t have an underlying entitlement to it because of overlapping benefit rules) or Income Support as a carer, you must spend at least 20 hours a week caring for one or more people who are receiving a ‘qualifying benefit’, for example:

• Attendance Allowance
• Disability Living Allowance (the middle or highest rates of the care component)
• Personal Independence Payment (daily living component)
• Armed Forces Independence Payment

If the person you care for isn’t receiving a qualifying benefit, the Department for Work and Pensions (DWP) will consider whether the level of care you provide is appropriate for you to still get Carer's Credit. They will consider the level of care as appropriate if there is a signed certificate confirming this from a health or social care professional.

You continue to receive Carer's Credits for 12 weeks after caring ends or for breaks in caring of up to 12 weeks.

If you receive Carer’s Allowance or Income Support as a carer you will already be credited with  national insurance contributions so will not need to rely on these rules. You also qualify during the 12 weeks before you become entitled to Carer’s Allowance or the 12 weeks after Carer’s Allowance ends.

This system of ‘credits’ replaces the old system of Home Responsibilities Protection, which was in force before 6 April 2010. Some years of Home Responsibilities Protection collected before it was abolished can be converted into credited contributions for those years.

Anything wrong with this page?

Tell us the problem

Please enter your name
Please enter a valid email address
Please enter what you were doing
Please enter what you'd like to report
Please enter the security code shown

Thank you

If you would like to tell us more please visit our contact page


Search for a grant

Look for funds that might be able to give you a grant and/or other types of help.

Use the Grants Search tool