You are now leaving the Turn2us site. Turn2us is not responsible for content on third party sites.

Child Tax Credit - How do I claim Child Tax Credit?

Find out more about Child Tax Credit.

How do I claim Child Tax Credit?

If you are making a new claim for Tax Credits, get a claim form by phoning HM Revenue and Customs (HMRC) Tax Credits Helpline or order a form online.

If you are already claiming Tax Credits and you need to change your claim, call HMRC on the Tax Credits Helpline or manage your Tax Credits online using the "Manage your Tax Credits online" section of the website

You have to renew your claim by 31 July every year. If you do not renew it, your tax credit payments may stop. See the website for more information on renewing tax credits (link opens in a new window)

Assisted Claims Service for foster carers

An assisted claims service for foster carers who wish to claim tax credits is available. Contact the Tax Credits Helpline (details above) for more information.

What documents will I need to claim Child Tax Credit?

You should give your national insurance number. If you do not have a national insurance number, send in the claim form anyway to save delays. You may also be asked for proof of your identity such as a birth certificate, passport or driving licence.You may also be asked for proof of your annual income, for example, bank statements or pay slips.

When will my Child Tax Credit claim begin?

Your Child Tax Credit claim usually starts on the day that your completed form is received by HMRC. It is important to get your claim made quickly so you don't lose out. 

You may be able to get Child Tax Credit backdated for up to one month. You have to request a backdate in writing. You can put a letter in with your claim form.

Change of circumstances

Child Tax Credit is paid on a year by year basis but it is very important to tell HM Revenue and Customs about changes in your circumstances during the year which could affect the money you get. You must tell them about some changes within one month.

See the website for more information on changes that affect your tax credits (link opens in a new window)

HM Revenue and Customs have also launched a new digital service for tax credits customers that allows people to check their next tax credits payment details online. The service can be accessed at

HMRC will be updating the service over the coming months to allow customers to report changes in their circumstances online instead of having to phone in. Release date to be announced.

Anything wrong with this page?

Tell us the problem

Please enter your name
Please enter a valid email address
Please enter what you were doing
Please enter what you'd like to report
Please enter the security code shown

Thank you

If you would like to tell us more please visit our contact page


Search for a grant

Look for funds that might be able to give you a grant and/or other types of help.

Use the Grants Search tool