You are now leaving the Turn2us site. Turn2us is not responsible for content on third party sites.

Child Tax Credit - Can I get Child Tax Credit?

Find out more about Child Tax Credit.

Can I get Child Tax Credit?

You can get Child Tax Credit if:

  • you are 16 or over, and
  • you are responsible for at least one child.

The child must be:

You can find out more about what you need to do when your child turns 16 on the Child Tax Credit when your child reaches 16 page of the website

If you have a child aged between 16 and 19 included in your Child Tax Credit claim, make sure that you tell HMRC each year by 31 August whether they are still in relevant education or approved training. If you don't, the child will be removed from your claim and your award will be reduced or stopped.


Reviewed July 2017

Anything wrong with this page?

Tell us the problem

Please enter your name
Please enter a valid email address
Please enter what you were doing
Please enter what you'd like to report
Please enter the security code shown

Thank you

If you would like to tell us more please visit our contact page


Check benefit entitlement

Find out what means-tested benefits you might be entitled to, including tax credits.

Use the Benefits Calculator

Grant Search

Search our database of grant-giving organisations

Search for grants