You are now leaving the Turn2us site. Turn2us is not responsible for content on third party sites.

Disabled Facilities Grants (England, Wales and Northern Ireland) - Who does it help?

You may be able to get a Disabled Facilities Grant from your local authority for work to your home so you can live an independent life.

Who does it help?

England, Wales and Northern Ireland

In England, Wales and Northern Ireland, you can get a Disabled Facilities Grant for things like making it easier to get in and out of your home, for example, by widening doors, providing ramps or suitable bathroom or kitchen facilities.

A local authority must give you a Disabled Facilities Grant if you meet the conditions for getting one. You can apply if you are an owner-occupier or a tenant.

If you are a tenant, you have to check that you are the one responsible for doing the work. If your landlord is responsible for doing the work, you will not be able to get a grant but your landlord may be able to apply for a grant instead.

There is a maximum amount of money you can get. How much you get depends on your household income and household savings over £6,000.


Disabled Facilities Grants aren't available for people who live in Scotland. If you live in Scotland you should contact your local Care and Repair Services for guidance on choosing adaptations and getting help paying for them.

Anything wrong with this page?

Tell us the problem

Please enter your name
Please enter a valid email address
Please enter what you were doing
Please enter what you'd like to report
Please enter the security code shown

Thank you

If you would like to tell us more please visit our contact page


Check benefit entitlement

Find out what means-tested benefits you might be entitled to, including tax credits.

Use the Benefits Calculator