You are now leaving the Turn2us site. Turn2us is not responsible for content on third party sites.

Emergency Information - Can't pay my rent or mortgage

You might find yourself caught short of money and need help with essentials like food or paying your bills. Please look at the range of support options we discuss in this guide.

Can't pay my rent or mortgage

If you are worried about being able to pay your rent, first make sure you are getting all the help you’re entitled to.

Next, get in touch with your landlord to let them know what is happening. All evictions have been put on hold for March, April and May 2020 because of coronavirus (six months in Scotland). If your landlord is not being understanding get advice on what you should do.

If you are struggling with your mortgage payment, get in touch with your lender. Because of coronavirus, lenders are offering three month mortgage holidays to their customers. Using this mortgage holiday won’t affect your credit rating. Get in touch with your mortgage lender and ask them for a holiday.

Updated 7 April 2020

Anything wrong with this page?

Tell us the problem

Please enter your name
Please enter a valid email address
Please enter what you were doing
Please enter what you'd like to report
Please enter the security code shown

Thank you

If you would like to tell us more please visit our contact page


Check benefit entitlement

Find out what means-tested benefits you might be entitled to, including tax credits.

Use the Benefits Calculator

Grant Search

Search our database of grant-giving organisations

Search for grants