You are now leaving the Turn2us site. Turn2us is not responsible for content on third party sites.

Funeral Payment - How do I challenge a Funeral Payment decision?

If you need help to pay for a funeral, you may be eligible for help through a Funeral Payment. How much you get depends on your circumstances.

How do I challenge a Funeral Payment decision?

If you disagree with the decision made on your Funeral Payment claim, you can ask for a written statement of reasons. If you still believe the decision is wrong, for example due to incorrect information being used, you can ask for it to be looked at again. This is called a mandatory reconsideration.

The time limits are strict. You will usually be given one month to dispute a decision so it is important to seek advice and act quickly. If you have missed this deadline, you can still ask for the decision to be looked at again. However, the Department for Work and Pensions (DWP) might refuse.

If you don’t agree with the decision after it has been looked at again, you can ask an independent tribunal to look at the decision. You should use Form SSCS1  to do this. You cannot usually ask a tribunal to look at a decision until you have gone through the mandatory reconsideration process.


Anything wrong with this page?

Tell us the problem

Please enter your name
Please enter a valid email address
Please enter what you were doing
Please enter what you'd like to report
Please enter the security code shown

Thank you

If you would like to tell us more please visit our contact page


Struggling with Energy and Water bills?

Find out what benefits, grants and other schemes may be available to you.

Read about help with energy and water costs

England: Council Tax Rebate April 2022

Read our Frequently Asked Questions guide.

Find out about the Council Tax Rebate

Check benefit entitlement

Find out what means-tested benefits you might be entitled to, including tax credits.

Use the Benefits Calculator

Grants Search

Search our database of grant-giving organisations

Search for grants

Find a Local Adviser

Search for your nearest sources of information and advice

Find an Local Adviser