You are now leaving the Turn2us site. Turn2us is not responsible for content on third party sites.

Help with health costs - How do I make a claim for Help with health costs?

Find out more about how to get help with health costs.

How do I make a claim for Help with health costs?

  • If you qualify for free prescriptions, claim help by filling in the back of your prescription form

  • If you qualify for free dental care, sign the form they give you when you go for treatment

  • If you qualify for free sight tests, when you go for a sight test, tell the optician if you are entitled to a free NHS sight test and ask for Form GOS1 to apply for it

  • If you qualify for travel to hospital for treatment, when you go to hospital, tell them that you want to claim back the cost of your journey.

What documents will I need?

In most cases, you will need a national insurance number. You will usually need to show evidence of:

  • Your identity, and

  • Your income and savings or evidence that you are claiming certain benefits. Proof of entitlement to help with health costs.

If you claim help with a health cost and you are unable prove that you are entitled, your claim will be checked. You may have to pay a penalty charge if it is found that you were not entitled to help.
The penalty charge will be five times the charge that you should have paid, up to a maximum of £100. If you fail to pay the penalty charge, the NHS can take action to recover the debt in court. The penalty charge will be increased by fifty per cent if you do not pay within 28 days of the date that the penalty notice is sent.

Maternity exemption certificate

Apply on form FW8 which you can get from doctors, midwives and health visitors. You must fill in parts 1 and 2 of the form and then ask your doctor, midwife or health visitor to confirm that the information you have given is correct. They then send the form off to the NHS and you should receive the certificate within 21 days.

NHS Low Income Scheme

For the NHS Low Income Scheme, the amount of help you get depends on the amount of income you have and you might not get any help at all if you have more than £16,000 in savings.

To apply for either a full help certificate or a limited help certificate through the low income scheme, fill in form HC1, which is available from local benefit offices, NHS hospitals, dentists, opticians and pharmacists. 

Other ways of getting the HC1 form


England, you can download and print off an HC1 form as well as order one to be posted to you on the NHS Low Income Scheme webpage to do this.


You can download and print off an HC1 using the link above. 

A form can also be obtained at pharmacies, GP practices, Citizens Advice Scotland offices and Job Centre Plus offices.


You can download and print off an HC1 form or order one by email on the Welsh Government website. You can also get a HC1 form by calling 0845 6031108 (select the option for health publications). 

Jobcentre Plus offices, NHS hospitals, dentists and opticians may also stock them.

Need help making your claim?

If you need help making your claim, call NHS Low Income Scheme Customer Contact Team on: 0300 330 1343.

Prepayment certificates for prescriptions

In Wales and Scotland prescriptions are free.

In England, there are a number of ways to buy a prepayment certificate which may make your prescriptions cheaper.

Further help

There is an NHS leaflet about health costs. You need to read the one for the country of the UK you live in.

You can pick up a copy at your doctor's surgery, at the hospital, from the dentist or the optician.

England and Wales: You can download copies on the NHS Business Services website.

Scotland: You can download copies on the Scottish Government website.

Updated July 2020

Anything wrong with this page?

Tell us the problem

Please enter your name
Please enter a valid email address
Please enter what you were doing
Please enter what you'd like to report
Please enter the security code shown

Thank you

If you would like to tell us more please visit our contact page


Struggling with Energy and Water bills?

Find out what benefits, grants and other schemes may be available to you.

Read about help with energy and water costs

England: Council Tax Rebate April 2022

Read our Frequently Asked Questions guide.

Find out about the Council Tax Rebate

Check benefit entitlement

Find out what means-tested benefits you might be entitled to, including tax credits.

Use the Benefits Calculator

Grants Search

Search our database of grant-giving organisations

Search for grants

Find a Local Adviser

Search for your nearest sources of information and advice

Find an Local Adviser