You are now leaving the Turn2us site. Turn2us is not responsible for content on third party sites.

Industrial Injuries Disablement Benefit - How do I claim Industrial Injuries Disablement Benefit (IIDB)

Industrial Injuries Disablement Benefit (IIDB) is for people who are disabled because of an accident at work, or who have certain diseases caused by their work (but not if this is self-employment) IIDB is a no fault scheme paid by Department for Work and Pensions.

How do I claim Industrial Injuries Disablement Benefit (IIDB)

England, Scotland and Wales

You can download a Industrial Injuries Disablement Benefit form from the Gov.UK website. There is a different form depending on whether you are claiming for an accident or industrial disease.

You can also phone your local Industrial Injuries Benefit Centre for a claim form.

Northern Ireland

You can download a form from the NI Direct website or:

Phone the Industrial Injuries Branch for a claim form:

  • Surnames beginning with A-D: 028 4146 6671
  • Surnames beginning with E-L: 028 4146 6646
  • Surnames beginning with M-Mi: 028 4146 6723
  • Surnames beginning with Mo-Z: 028 4146 6712

Claims for IIDB and extra allowances can be complicated. Before making a claim, you should seek advice from a specialist adviser, as any entitlement to the benefit and the amount you may get will depend on your individual circumstances. You can use our Find an Adviser tool to find advice in your local area.

For most diseases, meeting the IIDB criteria, you do not have to have worked in an occupation for any minimum length of time. 

There is also generally no time limit for claiming IIDB. You can still claim if your accident happened or disease started some years ago.

There are however some exceptions to the general rule that there is no length of time that a person must have been worked in an occupation in order to claim IIBD for a few specific industrial diseases.

For Example,

  • if you have occupational deafness, you must have worked in a prescribed occupation for 10 years and claim within five years of having done so.

  • If you have occupational asthma, you must claim within 10 years of working in a prescribed occupation.

  • If you have cataracts, you must have worked in a prescribed occupation for five years or more.

A doctor or other medical professional will assess you after you make your claim. They will assess how your disability affects you. The extent of your disablement will be stated as a percentage and you must usually be assessed as having at least 14% disablement to get benefit, although there are exceptions to this.

What documents do I need to claim Industrial Injuries Disablement Benefit?

When you claim IIDB, you have to provide your national insurance number and evidence of your identity.

A claim can be backdated for up to three months if you would have been entitled to it earlier. It does not matter why your claim is late. Request this when claiming.

You cannot ask for IIDB to be backdated if you are claiming for loss of hearing.

Anything wrong with this page?

Tell us the problem

Please enter your name
Please enter a valid email address
Please enter what you were doing
Please enter what you'd like to report
Please enter the security code shown

Thank you

If you would like to tell us more please visit our contact page


Check benefit entitlement

Find out what means-tested benefits you might be entitled to, including tax credits.

Use the Benefits Calculator