You are now leaving the Turn2us site. Turn2us is not responsible for content on third party sites.

Overpayments under the Universal Credit system - Will I have to repay the overpayment?

Read our guide to overpayments under the Universal Credit system and what to do about them.

Will I have to repay the overpayment?

You will always have to repay overpayments under the Universal Credit system. It does not matter what caused the overpayment.

You can still argue that there never was an overpayment.

You can ask the Department for Work and Pensions (DWP) if they will let you not pay back the overpayment. This is called 'exercising their discretion not to recover an overpayment'. They do not have to agree to this and if they refuse you cannot challenge this. You should give the DWP as much evidence as you can of how the recovery would affect you and why you think they should decide not to recover the overpayment. Even when given strong evidence and good reasons, it is rare for the DWP to choose not to make you pay back the overpayment.


Peter’s employer made a mistake when reporting his income and because of this Peter was paid too much Universal Credit. It wasn’t Peter’s fault that the information was wrong but he will still have to pay back the overpayment.

Aaron is getting Universal Credit for two children. The Department for Work and Pensions (DWP) write to him saying he has been overpaid because he is only responsible for one child. Aaron is actually still responsible for two children. He can challenge the overpayment.

If you have been paid too much New Style Jobseeker's Allowance (JSA) or New Style Employment and Support Allowance (ESA) and you had already claimed Universal Credit, you can ask for the amount you have to pay back to be reduced because you would have been able to get Universal Credit. It can be hard to work out how much Universal Credit you should have been getting and you should get advice to help you work this out.

If you have been paid too much Universal Credit because of a mistake about your savings that lasted for more than three months, the amount you have to pay back should be worked out as if your savings were going down.

If you are paid too much Universal Credit because you moved house but carried on getting Universal Credit for your old house, and if you rent both homes from the same landlord, you should ask to only pay back the difference between the cost for the old house and the cost for the new house.

Anything wrong with this page?

Tell us the problem

Please enter your name
Please enter a valid email address
Please enter what you were doing
Please enter what you'd like to report
Please enter the security code shown

Thank you

If you would like to tell us more please visit our contact page


Struggling with Energy and Water bills?

Find out what benefits, grants and other schemes may be available to you.

Read about help with energy and water costs

England: Council Tax Rebate April 2022

Read our Frequently Asked Questions guide.

Find out about the Council Tax Rebate

Check benefit entitlement

Find out what means-tested benefits you might be entitled to, including tax credits.

Use the Benefits Calculator

Grants Search

Search our database of grant-giving organisations

Search for grants

Find a Local Adviser

Search for your nearest sources of information and advice

Find an Local Adviser