You are now leaving the Turn2us site. Turn2us is not responsible for content on third party sites.

Prisoners on remand - Help with housing costs - On remand

This guide provides information about entitlement to specific benefits if you are on remand.

Help with housing costs - On remand

While you are on remand or in a bail hostel, you can remain entitled to:

This is as long as your absence from home is unlikely to exceed 52 weeks and you intend to return home.

Contact your local council  (link opens in a new window) for information on what you need to do.

If you are a homeowner you can continue to receive Support for mortgage interest if you are claiming Income Support, income-related Employment and Support Allowance or Pension Credit, but this will also only be paid for up to 52 weeks.

If your home is unoccupied while you are in prison, you can apply for a Council Tax exemption (link opens in a new window) as long as you are not in prison for non-payment of a fine or Council Tax.

Anything wrong with this page?

Tell us the problem

Please enter your name
Please enter a valid email address
Please enter what you were doing
Please enter what you'd like to report
Please enter the security code shown

Thank you

If you would like to tell us more please visit our contact page


Check benefit entitlement

Find out what means-tested benefits you might be entitled to, including tax credits.

Use the Benefits Calculator

Grant Search

Search our database of grant-giving organisations

Search for grants