You are now leaving the Turn2us site. Turn2us is not responsible for content on third party sites.

Prisoners serving a sentence - Child benefits - Serving a sentence

Your entitlement to most benefits stops while serving a custodial sentence in prison as a result of a criminal conviction. If you are claiming benefits and about to go into prison or you are on remand, you should contact the office that pays your benefit as soon as possible. This is to make sure that you are not overpaid any benefits that you are not entitled to while you are in prison.

Child benefits - Serving a sentence

If your child is living with you or is born in prison, you are still entitled to Child Benefit. If someone else is looking after your child while you are in prison you can transfer Child Benefit to that person.

Child Tax Credit will cease if you are no longer responsible for the child, unless the child is living with you in prison. If someone else is looking after your child, they will need to make their own claim.

If your child has no other living parent apart from you, the person looking after your child may be able to claim Guardian's Allowance.

Anything wrong with this page?

Tell us the problem

Please enter your name
Please enter a valid email address
Please enter what you were doing
Please enter what you'd like to report
Please enter the security code shown

Thank you

If you would like to tell us more please visit our contact page


Check benefit entitlement

Find out what means-tested benefits you might be entitled to, including tax credits.

Use the Benefits Calculator

Grant Search

Search our database of grant-giving organisations

Search for grants