You are now leaving the Turn2us site. Turn2us is not responsible for content on third party sites.

Self employment and benefits - What benefits can I get if I work part-time?

If you or your partner are working, or thinking of starting work, as a self employed person you might qualify for welfare benefits to top up your income.

The benefits you are entitled to will depend on a number of things, including your age, the number of hours you work and how much you earn.

What benefits can I get if I work part-time?

Benefits you can get when working part time include Income Support if you are a person who qualifies (e.g. a single parent) or Jobseeker's Allowance. You must be working less than 16 hours per week, and if you have a partner they must be working no more than 24 hours per week.

You can claim Pension Credit, Housing Benefit (England, Scotland, Wales), (Housing Benefit Northern Ireland) and Council Tax Support whether you work full time or part time.

If you qualify for Income Support, income-based Jobseeker’s Allowance or Pension Credit you may be able to claim help with your mortgage or home loan payments

Earnings, other income and capital affect the amount of benefit you can get. Any genuine business assets you have (e.g. a work van, premises, or money in a separate bank account that is used purely for the business) are ignored.

Use our Benefits Calculator to find out which benefits you may be entitled to and how much you could get.

Anything wrong with this page?

Tell us the problem

Please enter your name
Please enter a valid email address
Please enter what you were doing
Please enter what you'd like to report
Please enter the security code shown

Thank you

If you would like to tell us more please visit our contact page


Check benefit entitlement

Find out what means-tested benefits you might be entitled to, including tax credits.

Use the Benefits Calculator

Grant Search

Search our database of grant-giving organisations

Search for grants