You are now leaving the Turn2us site. Turn2us is not responsible for content on third party sites.

Shared Parental Leave and Pay - What documents do I need?

If you and your partner are expecting a child, you can choose to share some of your parental leave and pay.

What documents do I need?

When giving notice to take SSPP or SPL, you will need:

  • National insurance numbers for you and your partner

  • Your child’s expected week of birth, actual date of birth, or date of placement

  • Details of how much shared parental leave you and your partner each intend to take and exact dates. 

Your employer can also ask you for more information within 14 days of you applying for SPL or SSPP.

They can ask for:

  • A copy of the birth certificate

  • A declaration of the place and date of birth (if the birth hasn’t been registered yet)

  • The name and address of your partner’s employer or a declaration that your partner has no employer.

If you’re adopting, your employer can ask for the:

  • Name and address of the adoption agency

  • Date you were matched with the child

  • Date the child will be start to live with you

  • Name and address of your partner’s employer or a declaration that your partner has no employer.

You must give this information within 14 days of being asked for it.

Anything wrong with this page?

Tell us the problem

Please enter your name
Please enter a valid email address
Please enter what you were doing
Please enter what you'd like to report
Please enter the security code shown

Thank you

If you would like to tell us more please visit our contact page


Struggling with Energy and Water bills?

Find out what benefits, grants and other schemes may be available to you.

Read about help with energy and water costs

England: Council Tax Rebate April 2022

Read our Frequently Asked Questions guide.

Find out about the Council Tax Rebate

Check benefit entitlement

Find out what means-tested benefits you might be entitled to, including tax credits.

Use the Benefits Calculator

Grants Search

Search our database of grant-giving organisations

Search for grants

Find a Local Adviser

Search for your nearest sources of information and advice

Find an Local Adviser