You are now leaving the Turn2us site. Turn2us is not responsible for content on third party sites.

Short Term Benefit Advance - Can I get a Short Term Benefit Advance?

A Short-Term Benefit Advance is paid as a loan, which has to be paid back out of your future benefit payments.

Can I get a Short Term Benefit Advance?

Short Term Benefit Advances are available to people claiming any of these benefits:

You may also get an advance of Universal Credit which is called a Universal Credit Advance. The rules are different for Universal Credit advances.

You cannot get a Short Term Benefit Advance without having claimed a benefit first.

You must also be able to show that you are in financial need. This means that if you don't get a Short Term Benefit Advance, there is a serious risk of damage to the health and/or safety of you and/or your family. There is no set list of situations this covers but as an example, not being able to pay for gas or electricity could be a risk to your health.

If you request a Short Term Benefit Advance after making a new benefit claim, the decision maker won't give you an advance unless they believe that you are likely to be awarded the benefit once the claim has been processed.

Reviewed December 2021

Anything wrong with this page?

Tell us the problem

Please enter your name
Please enter a valid email address
Please enter what you were doing
Please enter what you'd like to report
Please enter the security code shown

Thank you

If you would like to tell us more please visit our contact page


Struggling with Energy and Water bills?

Find out what benefits, grants and other schemes may be available to you.

Read about help with energy and water costs

England: Council Tax Rebate April 2022

Read our Frequently Asked Questions guide.

Find out about the Council Tax Rebate

Check benefit entitlement

Find out what means-tested benefits you might be entitled to, including tax credits.

Use the Benefits Calculator

Grants Search

Search our database of grant-giving organisations

Search for grants

Find a Local Adviser

Search for your nearest sources of information and advice

Find an Local Adviser