You are now leaving the Turn2us site. Turn2us is not responsible for content on third party sites.

Short Term Benefit Advance - How do I claim a Short Term Benefit Advance?

Find out more about Short Term Benefit Advances.

How do I claim a Short Term Benefit Advance?

You can will need to declare your need for a Short Term Benefit Advance to the relevant contact centre or an adviser in your local Jobcentre. They will then send a Short Term Benefit Advance request to the benefit centre to be decided.

In England, Scotland and Wales

For Income Support, Employment and Support Allowance and Jobseeker's Allowance, you can ask for a Short Term Benefit Advance at your Jobcentre of phone Jobcentre Plus:

  • Telephone: 0345 608 8545
  • Textphone: 0345 608 8551
  • Welsh language line: 0345 600 3018

For Carer's Allowance, phone the helpline:

  • Telephone: 0345 608 4321
  • Textphone: 0345 604 5312

For Pension Credit or State Pension, phone the Pension Service:

  • Telephone: 0345 606 0265
  • Textphone: 0345 606 0285
  • Welsh language line: 0345 606 0275

For Universal Credit, you can ask for a Short Term Advance at your Jobcentre or phone the Universal Credit helpline:

  • Telephone: 0345 600 0723
  • Textphone: 0345 600 0743

In Northern Ireland

For Carer's Allowance, Income Support, Employment and Support Allowance, Jobseeker's Allowance, Pension Credit or State Pension, contact the Finance Support Service:

  • Telephone: 0800 587 2750
  • Textphone: 0800 587 2751

What documents will I need to claim a Short Term Benefit Advance?

Details of the benefit you are currently claiming (for example Job Seeker's Allowance).

When will my Short Term Benefit Advance claim begin?

The Department for Work and Pensions, Jobcentre Plus or Pensions Service will tell you when you will be paid. It is usually paid the same day the Short-term Benefit Advance request is made or the next working day. It will be paid into your bank or post office account

If you do not have a telephone to receive a call back you should provide an alternative contact method. This could be a friend or family member's phone number. You can also ask to be contacted through your local Jobcentre.

If you are eligible you will usually get the Short Term Benefit Advance the next working day after making a claim.


Updated April 2017

Anything wrong with this page?

Tell us the problem

Please enter your name
Please enter a valid email address
Please enter what you were doing
Please enter what you'd like to report
Please enter the security code shown

Thank you

If you would like to tell us more please visit our contact page


Check benefit entitlement

Find out what means-tested benefits you might be entitled to, including tax credits.

Use the Benefits Calculator

Grant Search

Search our database of grant-giving organisations

Search for grants