You are now leaving the Turn2us site. Turn2us is not responsible for content on third party sites.

Universal Credit (UC) housing costs element - Universal Credit (UC): How much will I get? I'm a private tenant

Universal Credit (UC) housing costs element can help with rent and some service charges if you are a tenant. If you are a homeowner you can receive help with your mortgage interest payments in the form of a Support for Mortgage Interest Loan.

Universal Credit (UC): How much will I get? I'm a private tenant

Your housing costs will be calculated using the Local Housing Allowance (LHA) for your area.

There will be a LHA rate set based on rental prices in your area and the number of rooms you need based on the size of your benefit household (ie you, your partner if you have one and your children who live with you). 

For example, if you are single, don't have any dependent children and are aged under 35, in most cases your LHA will be based on one room in shared accommodation.

This could mean that your housing costs element will not cover all of your rent if your home is larger than you need or too expensive.

You can visit the LHA Direct website (link opens in new window) to find out what your Local Housing Allowance is.


Updated June 2017

Anything wrong with this page?

Tell us the problem

Please enter your name
Please enter a valid email address
Please enter what you were doing
Please enter what you'd like to report
Please enter the security code shown

Thank you

If you would like to tell us more please visit our contact page