You are now leaving the Turn2us site. Turn2us is not responsible for content on third party sites.

Universal Credit (UC) housing costs element - Universal Credit (UC): How much will I get? I'm a homeowner

Universal Credit (UC) housing costs element can help with rent and some service charges if you are a tenant.

Universal Credit (UC): How much will I get? I'm a homeowner

Owner-occupiers who are leaseholders can get help with service charges paid as a housing element within Universal Credit. You normally have to serve a waiting period of approximately nine months from the date of your Universal Credit claim before you can receive this help.

Help with mortgage interest payments is available in the form of a loan on which you will be charged interest. This is separate from your claim for Universal Credit. Please read our Support for Mortgage Interest Loan guide for more detailed information about this loan. 

Waiting period

You will not receive a housing costs element for the first nine months after qualifying to have one included in your award. This is called a 'qualifying period'.

If you were receiving Jobseeker's Allowance (JSA) or Employment and Support Allowance (ESA) immediately prior to your Universal Credit claim, the time spent on that benefit can count towards your qualifying period.

Updated February 2020


Anything wrong with this page?

Tell us the problem

Please enter your name
Please enter a valid email address
Please enter what you were doing
Please enter what you'd like to report
Please enter the security code shown

Thank you

If you would like to tell us more please visit our contact page